Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bobby Allison Aero nose matador

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Bobby Allison Aero nose matador Reply with quote

Does anybody have any information or pictures on the Matador with the slippery nose that Bobby Allison and the AMC people either conned or tried to con NASCAR into letting them run?[/quote]
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The super rare Matador X-11??? There are a few photos out there. The car did run a few ARCA events but never a Cup race. I\ve hunted a 1/1 scale X-11 nose for years....even asking Bobby about one. (for my real Matador) But he said only a few were hand made and he knew of none still in assistance. (that were not on a car)
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:20 am    Post subject: Bobby Allison Arrow nose matador Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, he ran a slightly more modified version of this car in a couple of the Super Speedway modified races in the late 70s. For some reason, I'm not surprised, Dave, that you own a Matador! When I was a kid, I had a buddy that had a 75 Matador X, candy apple red with a big fat white stripe with a transplanted police interceptor 401 in it. I never imagined there be such a thing as a candy apple red with a big fat white stripes sleeper.....
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was/am a big AMC and Bobby Allison fan. Bobby's mom lived near me in Mint Hill NC (near Ms Tim Flock too) and we saw Bobby and his Mom around town. They came into the Food Lion off Lawyers Rd where my son was manager weekly. That's where I'd often trap Bobby and talk to him. Believe me I asked about that X-11 nose!
I never saw Bobby run a Matador with more mods than the ARCA car above. The super speedway mods were most often Hornet based bodies. But back in the day who knows.
My 1974 Matador.....I am second owner. Car was bought new in Charlotte NC. The lady that bought it had a 1.5" sway bar mounted on the rear axle the day she bought it. I bought the car, 30K miles, from her son....he had no idea why Mom had a rear sway bar added.....but it makes it drive GREAT! Waiting resto of some type.

R.J.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was my attempt at building a Matador with the x nose that Davey ran in the ARCA race at Daytona.

Mack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall correctly, from when I read Bobbys autobiography, They took the standard Matador nose and flipped it over, then fabricated the bottom of the head light covers.. I'm not stating this as fact, I've slept a lot since then. I'm just speculating from a fairly cloudy memory.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack wrote:
If I recall correctly, from when I read Bobbys autobiography, They took the standard Matador nose and flipped it over, then fabricated the bottom of the head light covers.. I'm not stating this as fact, I've slept a lot since then. I'm just speculating from a fairly cloudy memory.

About what I got from Bobby.....AMC made a buck and made a few from glass. It was more than just the headlights doors....it extended down below the bumper too. Kinda a AMC Aero Warrior!
Nice X-11 RJ!
john843

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.J. , GREAT job on the Matador. You nailed it!

John
Mack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
R.J. , GREAT job on the Matador. You nailed it!

John

AGREED!!!
tlaferri

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Aero Matador Reply with quote

Theres a couple good pics of it in the book called Vintage and Historic Stock Cars, this is a model I did of it several years back from pics in that book. I used the same approach as with the 1:1, flipped the Matador nose/grille- used the Monogram T-Bird chassis

Last edited by tlaferri on Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
tlaferri

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Aero Matador Reply with quote

oops, posted twice- mods please delete this one.

Last edited by tlaferri on Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Bobby Allison Aero nose matador Reply with quote

Would that be the Super Speedway modified car I faintly remember? Excellent build by the way!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: