Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help starting 1962 Pontiac build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawgvet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Help starting 1962 Pontiac build Reply with quote

Hello,
I was really happy to see this site back up and running! I want to build a 1962 Pontiac stock car, maybe Fireball’s or Junior Johnson’s.
1)What kit would be best to start with?
2) Where are good sources for reference pics?
3) How would I need to go about building the roll cage?
4) What other modifications would need to be done for a accurate kit?

Thanks for any help you might provide!
john843

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawgvet, the AMT/Ertl Catalina 421 SD has a separate chassis and builds up great. I did a Ray Fox #3 using this kit. I scratch-built the cage (or bars) to an appropriate level for '62, removed the rear seat and went from there.
What I've heard some people suggest for this build is to use the '62 body from this kit on the recent Fireball Roberts '61 Pontiac stock car release chassis.
It's been several years since I did the 421 SD but my memory of that kit is that it was a pleasure to build. Very well executed. I have no experience with the '61 Fireball kit.

John
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: 62 Pontiac Reply with quote

That kit was recently reissued by round two/AMT as the" polyglass gasser". The only difference from earlier issues were a couple of sets of tempo printed tires. A beautiful kit with a lot of detail. I've seen John's Ray Fox Model and it's outstanding. What makes it a gasser I have no idea, but I assure you it's the same kit.
AlanGTX

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: 1962 Pontiac Build Reply with quote

I've built the Junior Johnson #27 Hansford Pontiac, from the AMT kit, and it's a good kit to work with.

I'm currently building David Pearson's ride in the #3

Hot Rod magazine from August '62 and January '63 have good reports from the two Charlotte races in'62, with helpful pics

For the roll cage I used the PPP main hoop and made the rest of the bars from plastic tube, wheels and tires also from PPP

The front wheel wells need opening out to take the twin shox

Drivers seat needs to be a single seat with a support added

I used a pre wired distributor that means the firewall needs some hollowing out to accept it

I made another firewall and rear parcel shelf

Not sure if the rear axle had a brace in '62, or a rear end cooler driven from a pump off the driveshaft - can anyone help?
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: 62 Pontiac Reply with quote

In Dr Craft's book "Stock Cars", there are some excellent pictures of Smokey and Fireball's Daytona 500 winning number 22. The thing I love the most is the multi colored interior!
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: 62 Pontiac Reply with quote

In Dr Craft's book "Stock Cars", there are some excellent pictures of Smokey and Fireball's Daytona 500 winning number 22. The thing I love the most is the multi colored interior!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: